By Ejikeme Augustine Eloka
The recent insecurity challenges facing the country today is worrisome. This has further exposed the security architecture and structure as a nation. No day goes by in Nigeria without hearing sad news like gunmen attack community kills 20, gunmen sack community, Boko Haram sack village host flag, Bandit kidnapped school children, unknown gunmen opens fire on police station kills 5 adopt 1 and set police station ablaze, Fulani herdsmen kills farmers to mention but a few. This is a wake up calls for Mr president to find a lasting solution to this, it is not the time to play politics.
The former speaker of the house of Representative Yakubu Dogara said “Nigeria is at war with its self” and this statement is related to unemployment, youth restiveness, and failure by the government to create jobs and enabling environment for growth and development.
Last week it was reported by News Desk and various media house that a commissioner serving under the Kogi State Government was killed by gunmen and Local Government Council Chairman kidnapped, what a sad story for our nation and the family. If urgent action is not taking, a time will come where nobody will be safe even in his own town.
Here are what the president needs to do
- Declare state of emergency on insecurity
- Approve state police, to give governors power to secure their own state
- Let the identity of every Nigerians be known through the National Identity Number NIN
- Increase security presence on Nigeria borders
- Let state have their own check points in and out of the state
- Let security agent be seen patrolling in the street
- Create massive employment in the security sector
- Create employment for youth.
- Give palliatives to reduce poverty
- Let there be price control on goods and services
If this is done urgently we will have a secured country.